Sunday, December 4, 2016

Farwell to Lakselvdalen

Today marks the last day in paradise valley and tomorrow the next chapter of my journey begins!

Before we jump to the heart felt reflection of my stay here let's discuss the past couple of days. We got the truck back! Yippee! and took a trip into Tromsø to run errands and see the city. Thomas took me to the Villmarkssenter which is another dog sledding touring company, one that he worked for for many years. 

Sleds and dogs

This place was the ultimate sled dog machine. Business buildings, yurts for tourists, the dog building (food, equipment, lockers etc.) and the dog yard. When you run a huge company such as the Villmarkssenter does, you must have adequate equipment to support the comings and goings of your business. 

Waiting for evening grub

I have never had the pleasure to listen to such a great chorus of dogs as I did that day. 350-ish dogs take up residency in that dog yard. 350! AND THEY HAD PUPPIES!!!! Walking into that municipality of dogs you could feel all the energy from the dogs breathing through the earth and the barking and howling shook your core akin to the feeling you get at an indoor concert. You can feel them. It was spectacular. 

Villmarkssenter Dog Yard

Then we come to
The Maiden Voyage: my induction to the next level of my mushing career. There is slim pickings of snow outside, but just enough to possibly justify taking  a sled out. And we did. Before going out I was slightly nervous of the conditions and whether or not I was up to the task of driving dogs in whatever it may be. 

It was intense. Of course I crashed about 5 minutes into the run, my left arm becoming extremely intimate with the anchor that decided to make and escape from the sled, and the falling and flailing did not stop there.

Due to the lack of snow the terrain was sharply changing; small drops were dramatic cliffs, frozen rivers were still trying to decide how frozen they really were and stumps and rocks were smirking as they were hiding just beneath the cover of snow. My break got caught on a hidden stump slamming my hands and the top of the sled into my gut, my face was drug through snow that had hardened as gravel and forget being able to use the break over the winter petrified marshland; there were many moments I was completely terrified which added to the thrill of it.

And we run into the mountains

We made it home, and it was one of those events where you look back and think, "Maybe that was not such a good idea" but then shrug it off because you are alive.

My body was warming up and the adrenaline was slowly dying out of my system and my arm was remembering the tussle it had with the sled and anchor just a few hours before. My fore arm had developed a massive bump and was starting to throb where I was getting sick with pain. The thought was that I had broken it, there was very limited and painful mobility in my fingers and the swelling was getting bigger and harder.

Just what I need, a broken arm right after recovering from Satan's stomach bug. Today I am still sore, but I have faith in the fact that my arm is not broken!

Happy for healthy arms!


It is bittersweet leaving here. In my short time here I've bonded with humans and dogs alike, I don't even remember what it was like not knowing them! I feel very blessed to have come here and will cherish these friendships and my memories here forever. 

"Blessed are those that help ones in need, and blessed are those that spread kindness. But those that are most deserving of a blessing are those who have touched your heart and changed your world. Hold fast to that which is precious, to that which is love."

Goodbye lovely valley and my family here! I hope to be back again someday

Home away from home

No comments:

Post a Comment